This post is going to be all over the place, I am promising you that now, but bare with me, I will do my best to bring it all together in the end.
Two weeks ago our New Church started the challenge of the Daniel Fast. Drew and I were away still so I didn’t even know about the fast until a week into it. As our pastor preached about the importance of Fasting, from Matthew 6, “When you give, when you pray and when you FAST??,” My heart began to be moved. I thought wow- I have honestly never fasted. Sure I have given stuff up, but NEVER for the purpose of drawing closer to the Lord and cleansing myself of things in order to draw closer to him.
Tuesday I started the Daniel fast and I have to tell you, IT IS HARD. You can basically only eat what comes from the ground; fruit, vegetables, beans, brown rice, water…yup that’s it. The hardest part for me was coffee. I never really craved anything but my energy was ZAPPED and I have been having killer headaches. Day 3 I spent on my face asking the Lord to please please PLEASE give me energy. My child has so much energy and I am finding myself counting down the seconds until she is going to nap so I can crawl into bed and nap too. I felt so stupid for having no energy and for being so addicted to FOOD and CAFEINE!! (it gave me flash backs to the beginning of my pregnancy, where you have NO ENERGY)
BUT, I was learning. My mind was clear, my stomach was satisfied with the food from the ground and my heart craved God’s word, His guidance and His direction. Over the past few months I have sensed God speaking to me about so many things but I couldn’t put into words what he was telling me. “Lord, why can’t I hear you clearly!” I would constantly ask! Last Sunday as our pastor was preaching, it hit me, I know why I can’t hear him; there are things in the way!! I needed to rid myself and wash clean of things between God and myself.
I am not going to go into detail of my sin and all that I am working to rid myself of, because it is not ridded yet! BUT the Lord is chiseling away at me, growing me, molding me and making me new. I will continue to blog about things He is removing and the growth coming from it.
But for now, if I have learned anything from this weeklong journey, our walk with the Lord is constant. (just like our marriage is constant, being a mom is constant, my job is constant) CONSISTANCY is key. Continued GROWTH is key. I need to recognize that the Lord is always here, though I may not tangibly see Him. He is here.
We are called to Love the Lord our God, with all our heart, soul and mind. That’s huge. Do I really do that on a daily basis? Do I show that I am LOVING God with all that I do? No. I don’t. BUT I am called to, and what a calling that is.
I am challenging all of you to read through Matthew 6. The book of Matthew in general is such a good book, but start there.
5 comments:
this is good. i like.
random question, though: why can't you have coffee? the beans come from the ground. :)
wow. what a encouraging post. Proud of you. Fasting is hard and I have never ever been consistant with it but I love everything about...especially the fact that you are training you mind and soul that you need NOTHING but the Grace of the Lord. You are doing an amazing job at being a mommy, wife and Servant of the Lord. Miss ya.
I'm with Jordan, coffee is from the ground. Then again, so is marijuana... Good job Shan. Em is doing well on her plan too. VEry proud of the both of you. Your blog made me think of something. People, including myself say, "I need my coffee." Yet the Wee Ones run around all day with endless energy without a drop of coffee. Maybe we don't need ti after all.
Sorry I made you go on a walk when you were so weak:( I am excited for what God is teaching you. What an awesome way to start out the new year.
This is a great post Shan!
Post a Comment