12.16.2009

"Bloom Where you are Planted" ~ME

Seriously though, who said that? I know it wasn't originally Mary Engelbreit.

Anyways, I know this is such a silly little thing to say but it has most definitely been on of my biggest lesson the last 3 years. When Drew and I moved here I had a suuuuuper hard time. I packed my bags and left all of my best friends, an incredible job that fit my passion (and a corner office just to make it better), my family and my comfort. BUT I was willing to give all of that up to be with Drew. Being with Drew is where I wanted to be.

I had my ups and downs with jobs and friends. Trying to make good friends is always a challenge when you are newly married. You are trying to figure out how you work as a married couple and how you make friends. We were blessed with some really great friends right off the bat which helped out a ton. But, being in such a transient stage in life we have seen friends come and go far more times than I would like to mention.

I am tempted to envy people who are settled in their homes or in the towns they plan to live in for years. Building friendships that seem to be deep and forever. Digging deep into their community because they know it will be for a long time. BUT I catch myself when I start to envy that because I have been blessed with the same blessings. Some of my heart friends are just spread out all over the country now like Phoenix, Arkansas and now Oregon. HUGE BUMMER! But also a HUGE blessing to get to see my friends digging deep and growing in the places the Lord has called them.

Anyways, I was sitting in our apartment this afternoon, I had cleaned the kitchen, living room, bathroom, bedroom, did the dishes and the laundry and I was just thinking about life. I am so grateful for our 700 something square foot (I KNOW, TINY) apartment and I am grateful for where we are. We are truly blessed. We are able to pay the bills. We are healthy. Drew is able to be in school and learn which he is passionate about and I am able to pursue photography something I am passionate about. AND most of all I am able to stay home with Carsyn.

Needless to say, I am grateful... and blooming where I have been planted.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Such an important lesson in life! We have moved 4 times in 5 years, and I feel like we've done a good job of always blooming where we're planted, but it makes me so sad when I see people who avoid doing that because it is temporary. Such a sad way to live! Glad you've learned to savor the various seasons of life and the friendships they bring!

Emma Krueger said...

Moving to Las Vegas has been such a hard transition for me. It has been almost IMPOSSIBLE to make good friends out here. It seems like there is NO sense of community. But I have had to understand that there is a reason and a purpose for Aaron and I to be here. I love the saying and girl knows I love me some ME!