I remember the day mom and dad brought you home from the hospital. I was 6.5 years old and thought that you were my new little baby doll. I sat at the foot of the couch just staring at everyone who came over to hold you. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on you! You were such a sweet little girl growing up. Carsyn reminds me of you as she carefully inspects all of her toys, learning the ends and outs of how they work. I remember you always had little puffy eyes; Carsyn has the same puff under her eyes. Just yesterday she was crawling into the bathroom and I yelled MEGAN I mean CARSYN!! I do this on a daily basis.
I remember I wanted you to let me play with your hair so bad but you would not have it. I tried to explain to you, Megan, this is why mom had you, so that I could play with your hair, this is what big sisters do. You would run off and tell mom and I would think DANG IT! You did let me dress you up a lot though. I was always putting you into mom’s nightgowns and dad’s works pants! You fit perfectly into my baby doll stroller too! I just tied you in with a jump rope and pushed you around. See, I was a good mama from the get go! ;)
I remember when you were 6 and I was in Junior High you had your second brain surgery. I do not really remember your first surgery but your second one is very clear in my mind. I remember sitting in gym class looking at the clock and realizing you were in surgery at that moment. A rush of anxiety and fear came over me and I remember bursting into tears and running to the locker room.
Miraculously Megan, you have beaten the odds. I know you know this, but you are one in a million. Most people with your diagnosis are not able to live a normal life. No one would ever know that there was ANYTHING wrong with you (unless of course they watched you try to ride a bike, hehe). But seriously, you amaze me.
Megan you are the most driven person I have ever met. Your drive and your will amaze me constantly. You know what you want and you set your mind to it and you achieve those goals. At 19 I was nothing near the person you are. At 25 I still don’t think that I am.
I am so excited to watch you start OBU next year. I know that you will flourish, grow beyond your wildest dreams, you will hurt, you will find joy, you will be stretched, you will have some of the best times of your life and you will be forever changed. College is such a wonderful memory of mine and I am so excited to see you make wonderful memories.
Megan: Thank you for being my little sister but also my big sister. Thank you for loving me so much that I can feel it. Thank you for always be honest and truthful with me. Thank you for fighting with me and constantly putting me in my place. Thank you a million times over for loving my baby girl the way that you love her. Every time you get around her, her eyes light up. She loves her Auntie Megan more than you can understand. Thank you for supporting my dreams and my goals and encouraging me in them. Thank you for laughing with me to the point of sometimes peeing in our pants.
Megan you are the best sister a girl could ask for.
Happy 19th Birthday Baby Sister.
Love,
Shan




4 comments:
that was precious, thanks from both my girls Mama, you both are very special people.
That was a precious post. There is nohing quite like the bond that sisters share!!
this made me cry
This made my cry Shan! how precious to have such an amazing relationship with your sister!
Post a Comment