12.01.2008

Breath Holding Spell...911

Well, we did it. We made our first 911 phone call and spent our first evening in the emergency room.

First time parents, what a joy!

So last night after sleeping in her car seat for 3 hours while picking up some friends at the airport I had to get Carsyn out, change her and feed her. While changing her she started crying, which is usual after she's been peacefully sleeping. Crying quickly turned into red faced screaming then all of the sudden she WAS NOT BREATHING. I freaked!! She was wide eyed, mouth closed tight and stiff as a board!

Drew came running in and grabbed her, we ran to the living room, I grabbed her started blowing in her face, Drew grabbed her and we RAN OUT THE DOOR to run, well actually drive, to the emergency room. We stopped to try to get her to breath (still holding her breath) and then I remembered our friend Jason had just taught me baby CPR, which I didn't remember. (and which she didn't need she wasn't passed out) So we started RUNNING to his house, by the time we reached there front door she caught her breath and starting crying. Somehow during all of that I got on the phone with 911?? Nothing like a frantic mother on the phone screaming MY BABY ISN'T BREATHING!! The lady kept telling me to calm down, UMMM my baby was NOT breathing no calming was going to happen.

The whole fire-station piles into our friend Jason and Emily's new apartment that we had burst into at 1 in the morning while I was full on exposed feeding Carsyn. Of course they had to check her out but I refused to remove her from my ehhmm boob so they had to check her out while attached. (SERIOUSLY- what is a girl to do? I wasn't about to piss her off again).

The firemen kept asking if we were first time parents?? I kept thinking, what the heck why are they asking us this?? Is this something children do? STOP BREATHING?? If so, I am not okay with that. Anyways they say she looks fine but we have to take her in and do we want a ride in the ambulance or would we like to drive ourselves?? Well, to save $1,000 we'll drive thanks.

We arrive at the ER and finally around 3:00 they let us go home. The pediatrician explained to us that kids have these things called breath holding spells and thats probably what she did. AND she will probably do it again... but we don't need to call 911 unless she passes out, goes limp or turns blue.

All in all, I am EXHAUSTED and scared to death to let her cry!

17 comments:

Whitney said...

Girl, that is the scariest thing I have ever ever heard. AHHHH! I would have done the EXACT same thing. And I probably would do it again the next time it happened. Let's just hope in your case this does not happen again! Oh my word.

lizhoweth said...

OH MY GOSH!! WE ARE SUCH BAD FRIENDS!! If you hadn't picked us up, she would have been fine! Jk, but I really do feel bad that it was already a late night and then this scare! Oh girl, I'm so glad she's ok!! Poor little thing. Praise the Lord. Get some rest. Thanks again for picking us up.

Leslie said...

So terrifying! Glad everything is ok (and glad to know about "breath-holding spells" in case it ever happens to our future kiddo!")

Anonymous said...

Wow! Well, if it helps, you did all the right things that I could think of. It's nice to know how you would react in an emergency and neither of you clammed up or froze or anything. Let's hope for a much calmer week. By the time she is old enough to throw a tantrum in a department store and hold her breath bc she isn't getting what she wants, that game will be way old!

Best of luck!

Erin said...

What!?!? This is craziness! I'm glad she is okay!

The Kowalskis said...

The little one I nannied when I was growing up used to cry so hard she would stop breathing... all the time! It freaked me out so much! I am glad she is okay!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That is absolutely terrifying! I would have freaked out completely! I don't do well in emergency situations! I'm glad everything is ok though.

Jessica said...

I am so sorry that happened. I still remember our first ER visit almost seven years ago. I was positive my child had a serious seizure disorder. I was a first time parent and that panic to help your child is what God gives us to protect them. Well logan lived through the switching and appears to have no permanent scars from an over protective first time mom. Carsyn is a blessed little girl!

Pascha said...

i dont know whether to cry or to just be so so thankful that she is ok! THAT IS FREAKY!
i will pray that it wont happen again!
love you love you

Shane, Steph, Adeline, Adam said...

That is so scary. I remember when I was pregnant with Adeline and I just wanted her out so bad so I could be in control. I quickly learned that I am NEVER in control!!! Such a scary feeling as a mom, but sounds like you were doing what we would all do for our sweet babies! Praying that will not happen again!

Katie said...

GEEZ!! I'm so glad she's okay! How scary!!

Yes, to prepare for Caleb's first night with the grandparents, I had to start pumping little by little two weeks in advance to get enough for four feedings (without freaking out my milk supply). Phew! I did it, though, and it was worth it!!

melodysmiles said...

Wow, how scary! Glad she is ok and hope it doesn't happen again!

abby coyle photo said...

Owen used to do that ALL the time...til he was literally purple in the face. It scared us so bad but the doctor told my sister the exact same thing. We would just hold him upright til he caught his breath. Ohhh I hated it! But I'm glad Carsyn is okay and it wasn't something else!!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

How scary! I'm glad everything turned out okay. I had no idea babies did this. What a cruel thing to do! :)

Anonymous said...

when i was reading this, i went from scared out of my mind, to laughing out loud in class :)... sounds like you are doing just great as a first time mommy, I miss you friend, i'm glad your beautiful baby girl is ok!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see the name Erin Reiser above! Ha! I haven't seen you in forever!

Unknown said...

Sistah! That was a scary night. You can bring that precious little girl over anytime! I would do everything I could for sweet Carsyn!