3.04.2009

Cry it Out...

I'm sitting here watching the monitor light up and my sweet little girl scream and cry through the monitor. She used to be a ROCK star sleeper than about 5 weeks ago something changed and slowly but surely sleep time got BAD. She was staying up later and later, getting up more, and finally ending up in bed with us because we were at our wits end and EXHAUSTED. Her sleeping with us was wearing on the both of us as well (Drew and I). No was was sleeping soundly and it was just bad B.A.D. bad. Anyways, I called my pediatrician yesterday to ask some advice. She said

CRY IT OUT...

BOO!! I am not a fan of cry it out AT ALL... but she told me I would have to do it now or later and now was best. I put my big girl panties on and called my good friend Lindsay to come over and help me because A. Carsyn is one stubborn girl and I knew it would be a long night and B. Drew was going to be gone all night and I could NOT do it alone...

My doctor also told me to start a night time routine... which we kind of have, but I decided to make it stricter and a little bit more special (can you say more special???).

Sooo we did our thing and I put her down and she cried. and she cried. and she cried. AND SHE cried. Finally about an hour later she started to slow down and her cries weakened and finally... she was asleep. Thank you Lord.

Then this morning she took a 3 hour nap... she was just tuckered out.

Anyways, here we go again tonight. I am hoping this is the last night that she cries for any length of time because it makes my heart melt and my stomach churn hearing my sweet baby cry in there.

:(

Tomorrow she will be 5 months old. How did this happen???

5 Days old here...

5 comments:

Katie said...

Ugh, the crying it out is the worst. We let Caleb cry it out at four weeks and he did great until the flipping a few weeks ago. Then it started all over again. Talk about STRESS and FRUSTRATION and SADNESS all at the same time! But, I think your pediatrician is right--better now than when she's older. Right now Caleb has to sleep in his car seat because of his RSV, so I KNOW we have a huge battle waiting for us when he goes back to the crib next week.

You can do it. And Carsyn won't remember it and she won't hold it against you or have trust issues, like some people say. It will end soon. :) You're doing great.

Melinda said...

That's about the time when Gracie started sleeping less too but mainly because she got her first 2 teeth at 4 1/2 mos. and the ear infections started. I have tried it too but not for longer than an hour or so and I think she could cry all night if I let her. Good luck!

Emma Krueger said...

I am so glad that you post these things! That way I have some idea of what is to come. I will be calling you all the time for advice!

Anonymous said...

The October after I graduate in May from OBU...she will be 5. :)

Kinsey said...

Steven and I have SO many questions about this. Did you ever go in and talk to her or did you just stay out of sight? Does she use a pacifier at all? Davie is very dependent on that and on swaddling, but I'm thinking it might be time to wean from those things a bit. She also has been waking up multiple MULTIPLE times the past couple of nights . . . and ends up in bed with us. UGH! So. Can we be each other's support group?!?!